Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default And now I've seen it all ...

On Nov 27, 4:49*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

*whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:26:40 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
If I apply 240V to a one meg resistor, there will be "a sudden rush" of
0.24mA or so, to match the voltage I applied.

But is it sudden ?, I think not, and what do you mean by match the voltage.
Not sure if your 240V is AC or DC though as that could change things.

Every time anything is conencted to a voltage that is capable of conducing
current will flow, whether or not you se that as a sudden rush I guess is up
to the observer.

Thass why I think it's a silly phrase to use in this context. They way
it's been written about so far would imply to me that the user thinks
that you connect up the volts, and the amps "rush in" until they notice
the resistance and then decide to be sensible and slow down to the
proper value.

It was quite clearly a reference to a filament bulb where the
initially cold, and low resistance, filament allows a "rush" of
current that decays quickly as the filament gets hotter and lower
resistance.

MBQ