Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Repair Sylvania Model 72032 LED Lite?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:29:51 -0800 (PST), KenO
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Zener markings I could see N1 & A

Sorry, I can't make anything out of that.

power off R series resistor ~22M Ohms

It looks like this is open circuit.

Zener Test with Ohmmeter of Multimeter

Negative Probe on Cathode (Black Strip) ~140 K Ohms

Positive Probe on Cathode (Black Strip) ~167 K Ohms

I'm not sure what you are doing here. You should connect one probe to
one end of the zener, and the other probe to the other end. If that's
what you were doing, then you should have used the diode test function
of your meter.

power on

Vin ~111 V

Vout to 0 V ~200 mV

This is consistent with an open circuited series resistor. The zener
is not shorted, as per your previous measurement.

That said, I'm surprised that Vin is so high. I can't imagine that the
zener voltage would be more than 10V, so this would mean that the
series resistor would need to drop a lot of voltage. It seems too
small for that kind of wattage. Something doesn't look right to me,
but I can't see the circuit clearly enough (too many components
obscuring the PCB). I don't think I can help you without a circuit
diagram.

- Franc Zabkar