Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Slip clutch felt replacement

Ron Johnson wrote in message
On 28/11/2012 15:25, N_Cook wrote:
Well I've always called it felt but this is worn down to a woven backing
that is well glued to the pulley. I suspect it is more pool/snooker

table
baize material rather than haberdashers felt, but why always white ?

some
special formulation. Unobtainium full clutch assembly so renovation of

what
is here.
Anyone know how to make neat punch-cut dual concentric cut rings without
proper setup. Small central hole ok with normal leather punch ,but outer
larger cut?
Probably I'll cut the centre hole in some green baize, glue to the

remnant
backing (or start again stripping of the old ?) , compress as its curing

and
then cut away outer excess with a scalpel.

Look for 'wad punch'

If I was regularly doing this then yes a set of large diameter punches as
well as the small set I already have.
Have decided to punch the small centre holes, then glue onto the original
surface as no integrity left in the woven remnant matrix. Then an adjustible
craft cutting compass , as parallel axis of cutter and centre it will locate
easily here, to cut the outer ring.
These compasses eg
http://www.modelspoorhobby.be/Foto's/gereedschappen/snijpasser.JPG
are great for partially cutting rubber sheet to drive bands. Partial, so to
keep the cuts regular and concentric and so build up a large range of bands
from one sheet, then finish off the cuts by hand with scalpel , guided by
the initial cut.