Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Legal question - party wall shenanigans

On Nov 27, 10:00*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

On Nov 27, 1:32 pm, "tim....." wrote:
wrote in message

My third and final post of the day!

As I may have mentioned elsethread, I've recently moved into my new
house,
which is a small Victorian detached cottage in town. *There are plans
build on the adjacent "yard" (actually a back garden currently used as
car park) and, from what I make out of the plans (which aren't very
well
drawn in my opinion), the new house will be physically joined onto the
two
houses it sits between, thus at a stroke turning my house from a
detached
house into an end-of-terrace. *I've been reading on the Party Wall Act
but
I can't seem to discover if I'm obliged to agree to this happening, or
if
I can simply refuse them permission to do this. *If I AM obliged to do
this, can I insist on any provisions (such as underpinning,
sound-proofing
etc.) as the house that's being proposed is not for the owner to live
in
but to sell or, judging by the area, to let?

You are obliged to enter into a party wall agreement with him

Is he? I think the obligation is on the party doing the work.

well yes the party doing the work has to draw up the agreement

but my point is the law requires the OP, in principle, to agree to it,

I don't think it does.

he
can't say "no I'm not going to agree to that so you're now not allowed to do
the work"

The question is whether he can refuse to enter into agreement. It
would, of course, make thing a whole lot more complicated if problems
were to arise.

MBQ