View Single Post
  #23   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Induction Cooking Table : IGBT keeping to short !

I am not responding to you here Phil, but the whole bunch.

Everyone wants to get into all this esoteric **** here and really an induction top doesn't run at microwave speeds. Simple RF. I mean television SMPS RF.

The bottom keeps shorting, well lessee here, what can cause one transistor in a totem type pole circuit to short ? This is a switcher. Can an imbalance cause a problem ?

First of all the drive. Now you might not be able to compare the drive to the top transistor without diff inputs or all that, but yuo should stil be able to tell. If the duty cycle is 50/50 then the E-B or S-G voltage will read the same on a voltmeter, which can be floated easily.

Once a 50 % duty cycle is conformed then the DC reading confirms equal drive. I ASSUME both transistors were changed at the same time. If not, shame on you.

There will be some snubber caps, and then there are the coupling caps. If it ain't drive it is load, PERIOD.

You got the bottom Xstr shorting, look at the TOP coupling cap. Leakage there would never bother the top Xstr. But the bottom might have a problem with it. The capacitor decides to be a resistor. C'mon you old folks, tell everyone about it.

Know what else ? If you can't get the same rating caps, so what ? Most likely they were chosen by price. Engineers might even make adjustments in the operating frequency to accomodate lower value caps, if it saves the company money.

You got 0.68uF and you are afraid to use 1uFs ? Just use them as long as the current capabilities are up to snuff. The value does not mean **** as long as it doesn't go too low.

Use whatever, within reason, just make them equal. They must be equal, otherwise the engineer would have just used one cap instead of two.

Kapeesh ? Think of it from their end.

J