Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

On Nov 28, 11:45*am, George wrote:
On 11/26/2012 6:35 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote: In article , wrote:

Why can't libs just leave people free to choose?
Is that so right wing extreme?

because one Cuyahoga *River on fire was one too many?

But you just don't understand. The extremists think that somehow for
some unknown reason the "free market" folks are above the centuries of
examples of bad human behavior and will never do anything dishonest or
cheat for personal gain or as you noted pollute just because it helps
the bottom line.

But you just don't understand. Somehow the libs think
that just one more law, one more regulation, one more
govt agency, is the solution to anything and everything
that isn't right in the world. The fact that despite all
the regulations and regulators we have we still have
BP, the housing bubble, the pharmacy problem, etc
suggests it isn't that simple.

And you want to extend that heavy hand of regulation to
a guy who has the freedom to choose between a 80%
and a 90% furnace. A non-existent problem, because
the vast majority of the market for furnace replacement
is already choosing 90%+ where it makes economic
sense for them. I'll say it again. When I went out for
quotes 2 years ago, not a single vendor mentioned or
quoted less than a 90% furnace. And I'm in NJ, not MN.

Do you believe the EPA lie that eliminating furnace choices
less than 90% for new installations in northern climates is going to
save 20% of total energy usage? Conservatives see this crap and
know that it's pretty much a non-problem. But it does
create more federal employees coming up with dumb
ideas and enforcing them. And when they are done with
your furnace, they don't go away. They hire even more
employees and find the next thing to regulate that doesn't
need regulating.