Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

On 11/26/2012 10:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 05:03:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 25, 1:05 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:09:11 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
Yep. As far as cars go if it were left up to the market place we
would still be driving cars getting 18 mpg at best with zero safety
equipment.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

If the market is incapable of innovation, then how
exactly do you explain the cell phone, PC, cordless drill,
and all the other items that have a long history of innovation
that has driven cost down, increased features, etc?

There are differences. The marketplace needs innovation that can be
seen. Take a poll and I bet 95% would choose a Smart phone over a Cat
converter in their car.

You can't see a difference in your energy bill? When I
replaced my 25 year old furnace, my energy bill was cut
by almost half.

Sure, I can see it, mine is down 39%. But the problem is, people
don't "see" it until the job is done and money spent. They see fancy
doo-dads and that is what they are easily sold. There are many ways
of constructing a house that is greatly more energy efficient, yet
most are build the same way they have been for 200+ years. Would you
build with SIPS or ICF's? How many houses built that way are you
aware of? Many builders are unaware of them, consumers even less so.

A friend had their new house built with ICFs maybe 5 years ago. I went
there to see them do it. You feel like you are in a bank vault and their
energy use is really low. A family member who is a contractor has had
poor results selling the idea. As you noted customers go for the "shiny
stuff".