Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Garage door torsion spring relocation project (Status = Not goingwell)

On 11/27/2012 8:29 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:22:57 -0600, dpb wrote:

There ain't nothing to hurt; you've made more mess to clean up already
than a few joints will be, and it's just a garage unfinished wall,
anyway.

Dan Musick at DDM Garage doors, who was the first to tell me
that my side bearing plates were moving - is the one who suggested
shoring it up with the angle irons he sent me.

He knows doors, doesn't he?

Hell if I know; don't know the man.

Angle would be fine as a cross member to mount to but you've still got
to find something to mount them to and get access to whatever it is that
is solid to be able to do so.

Neither of which you can do w/o being able to see what you got where.

Certainly just attaching them to the sheetrock or some other flimsy
blocking internally won't make any difference for more than a short time
at best, anyway.