Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Generator "Back Feed" through GFI Outlet

Cydrome Leader wrote in message
Hi,

I am planning on getting a generator incase of a long term loss of
power. So far that has never happened to me, but I want to be prepared.

If such an event would occur, I would "open" the main breaker, then
use the generator outside in back of my house to "back feed" through
an outside GFI outlet. Note: I have no interest in whole house power,

but
power for the refrigerator and some low power devices.

I was planning on replacing the GFI outlet with a "regular" outlet,

but a
friend told me he once used his generator and "back feed" through a GFI
outlet without a problem.

Does anyone know if "back feeding" through a GFI outlet is OK?

Thank You in advance, John

backfeeding into an outlet is never ok. don't do it.

just run your fridge off a really good quality extension cord.

Assuming the power rating of the generator was just enough power for when
the fridge is on, would such a generator be able to start with the fridge
compressor load in line and on, when powered up? How much of power headroom
required to overcome such an initial load, should the owner not be aware of
this , and wait and not power on the fridge when the gen is up and going.