Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Legal question - party wall shenanigans

On 27/11/2012 22:44, Tim Streater wrote:

But I see no reason that you have to agree to an agreement that someone
else has drawn up. You negotiate the terms [1], then you sign.

[1] A principle that seems to escape those in the public sector.

The OP does not have to agree to anything. The developer is allowed,
subject to planning permission, to build a new, self-supporting wall on
his land. This wall can be touching the OP's wall, but not keyed into
it. In practice, there needs to be sufficient room between the walls to
allow maintenance, and I believe that is a planning issue.
Alternatively, the two walls can be joined, so there is no need for
maintenance.

The PWA has nothing to do with any of this. It simply requires that the
OP's property is not affected by the works.