Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:33:24 PM UTC, Justine Time wrote:
Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some

ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are

unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is

wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

If you don't like the plastic trim, you can get ceramic quadrant tiles to run along a top edge.
And the Johnson primatic white range have a full set of various round edged tiles, coves, internal + external corners, etc (which cost a fortune).
According to a tiler I spoke to, the introduction of the plastic (or other materials) quadrant has more or less killed off the round edged tiles.
Look at any tiled fireplace from the 30s to 50s and it is done using a full kit of tiles for corners, edges etc. Can you get those tiles any more ? No. There is a market in such reclaimed tiles.