Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Garage door torsion spring relocation project (Status = Not going well)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:26:13 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Of course, this 'is' a garage - but ugly is still ugly.
Especially if a nail can tell me the same information.

A nail hitting a sideways 1x2 and one hitting a 2x6 gives you the same
information. But they aren't the same.
As far as ugly - you're not thinking right for what you have to do.
That splotched up dry wall in your pics looks real ugly to me.
Because it's in the way of what you have to do - find or put in place
strong mounting points.
You really have to get past your perception of "ugly."

If all else fails, I 'will' remove the sheetrock and install cripple
studs - but if that was the 'right' way, why didn't the original
installers do the same when they had the chance?

Shoddy work is common. I still remember a real estate salesman tell
me and my wife how a finished basement showed "pride of ownership."
All I saw was bad joinery of good material, and was thinking I would
have to tear it all out.
I will say I don't like much finishing in a basement anyway, because
it usually contains the heart of a home's mechanical systems, and I
don't want it all covered up.
And is subject to flooding too.
And I look at a garage as a "rough" workplace too.
Some people prettify their garage with finished drywall, built in
cabinetry, glossy painted floor, etc. That's fine. I can see that.
But your garage doesn't seem to qualify, and splotchy drywall never
looks pretty.