Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How to make this profile?

On 11/26/2012 11:05 PM, David wrote:
I'm planning on making some boxes for birthday presents in late January.
The profile for the box sides is shown he
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...Tg4r_R18m5vLcs

My plan is to make a single piece about 48" long for each box, then cut it
into four pieces for the sides. Wood will be walnut, mahogany, or some
other hardwood. What are the options for generating the profile shown in
figure A? The only important dimension is the 4" width, everything else is
approximate. Profile B would be acceptable as long as it can be made
uniform over the 48" length. If someone out there has made a jig or fixture
that will solve this problem and is willing to share the plan, it would be
really appreciated. BTW, I have the usual complement of stationary,
bench, and hand power tools.

Just a thought, it sounds like a lot of trouble to make unless you have
a molder. My local wood supplier is also a mill that makes moldings
from most every common wood. Have you looked at some of the baseboard
moldings? Maybe buy a buy a molding with a curved top, rip it in half
and glue the two halves together? Something to kick around.