Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Legal question - party wall shenanigans

Should not this have shown up when a search was done, though?

Brian

Email:

wrote in message
My third and final post of the day!

As I may have mentioned elsethread, I've recently moved into my new house,
which is a small Victorian detached cottage in town. There are plans to
build on the adjacent "yard" (actually a back garden currently used as a car
park) and, from what I make out of the plans (which aren't very well drawn
in my opinion), the new house will be physically joined onto the two houses
it sits between, thus at a stroke turning my house from a detached house
into an end-of-terrace. I've been reading on the Party Wall Act but I can't
seem to discover if I'm obliged to agree to this happening, or if I can
simply refuse them permission to do this. If I AM obliged to do this, can I
insist on any provisions (such as underpinning, sound-proofing etc.) as the
house that's being proposed is not for the owner to live in but to sell or,
judging by the area, to let?