Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Legal question - party wall shenanigans

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:32:42 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

wrote in message
My third and final post of the day!

As I may have mentioned elsethread, I've recently moved into my new house,
which is a small Victorian detached cottage in town. There are plans to
build on the adjacent "yard" (actually a back garden currently used as a
car park) and, from what I make out of the plans (which aren't very well
drawn in my opinion), the new house will be physically joined onto the two
houses it sits between, thus at a stroke turning my house from a detached
house into an end-of-terrace. I've been reading on the Party Wall Act but
I can't seem to discover if I'm obliged to agree to this happening, or if
I can simply refuse them permission to do this. If I AM obliged to do
this, can I insist on any provisions (such as underpinning, sound-proofing
etc.) as the house that's being proposed is not for the owner to live in
but to sell or, judging by the area, to let?

You are obliged to enter into a party wall agreement with him

This should be drawn up in a way that protects all of your interests, though
I can't see that underpinning is one of them

Just wonder what would happen if you had such a wall covered in Solar PV.