Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

bob haller wrote:

Soon condensing water heaters will be required too. and absolutely
required when a furnace is replaced......... ending the orphaned flue
issue.

this might be a good thing have you ever considered how much heated
building air must exhaust ot chimney flues each year.........

I am all for such regulation applying to new builds - the

1) Developers are usually cheapskates and need to be forced - it's not them
paying the subsequent heating bills;

2) It's a very tiny relative incremental cost at design/build time.

Same with having good insulation (particularly in colder parts).

I, speaking from a Brit perspective, where we've had this condensing boiler
requirement since 2005, am against forcing replacements to be upto new build
specifications. There, it should be down to the home owner being able to
make an informed choice.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."