Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

On Nov 26, 8:35*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:20:51 -0500, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:30:54 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:31:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

And you're an imbecile. *Now go and google "orphaned
water heater" *You might learn something instead of
continuing to make an ass of yourself.

Only part worth leaving in, since it exemplifies your approach to
"reason."
Of course I googled it and know about the "7 times" rule and all.
So what?
Doesn't mean you aren't an asshole, does it?

You sniped all of the logic and leave the conclusion. *Then complain
that he's calling you names. *You really are a moron.

There was no logic after I stopped mentioning that furnace and water
heater are independent on the same stack.

No logic? I gave you references from:

State Govt
Cornell University
Home Inspection Website

All of them address the issue of orphaned chimneys. And
all say you are dead wrong. It really isn't a hard concept to
grasp. A chimney that is too large for the appliance it
serves will have slow moving combustion gases passing
through it. In winter, in cold climates, the water in those
gases condenses. Natural gas produces acidic condensate
which, over time, will cause the mortar in chimneys to
fail. If this condensate is not acidic and capable of damage,
why do some jurisdictions require neutralizers on
condensate drains from natural gas furnaces? If it's
potentially bad for a drain system, why is it OK to put
it into a masonry chimney? When the chimney had both
a furnace and a water heater, it was kept warm enough
by the furnace in the cold of winter so that the gases of
both the furnace and the water heater could not condense.

I also showed you photos of chimneys with damage from
that problem. You claimed that no such problem exists and
that no chimneys have been damaged by it. And I pointed
out that the National Fuel Gas Code specifies the min
and max chimney sizes permitted for given appliances
connected to that chimney. You told us it didn't matter.
Until you told us it did matter, but only because of
drafting. Truth is both issues are factors.

BTW, where are YOUR references, that say the orphaned
chimney problem does not exist?

Just repetition of name-calling and endless cut and paste.

No, the only name calling was at the very end. And as per
k, it was the conclusion after all the evidence was given.