Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Improvised milling machine

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:43:59 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:24:17 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

Do you have one of the many oscillating/multi-tools? Like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/variabl...ool-67537.html

These cutters would probably cut aluminum okay (get extras):

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-18-bi...ade-68912.html

Should look a bit better than chisel work, maybe...

Hmm, have seen those plugged in and ready to play with at Home Depot. Can not
imagine them taking a heavy cut in aluminum, but it might be just the ticket to
clean up the mess left by what ever method I end up using.

You'd be surprised. BTW, the single-speed version is on sale for $15
right now, with coupon. You can't afford NOT to have one. I'm sure
the blades will cut aluminum (I've cut iron/steel screws with them
with no apparent dulling), but if you're not sure, get the bimetal,
diamond, or carbide half-moon blade. Keep the swarf from building up
in the cut and it cuts extremely fast.

Question: Doesn't the metal bat house get too warm for the critters?
And what do you use for condo separations inside?

I have 2 of the single speed units. They actually work very well. With
aluminum the problem becomes heat related. The
aluminum actually heats up enough that it gets gummy and bonds to the
teeth. I just applied some common ivory soap to the
teeth and it made a big difference.
Darn thing does come in handy at times.

--
Steve W.