Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12V LED Recommendation Please

On Monday, November 26, 2012 6:48:11 PM UTC, David WE Roberts wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in message

Just started to rent a garage that has no services in.

I am wondering about light fittings and also the type of cable I should
use.

The Lidl and Aldi LED 'wand' lights are reasonably priced, provide a good
light, and can be charged from 12V or 240V sources.
However they won't provide as much light as a couple of large mains
flourecent tubes.
See other comments on converting mains tubes to 12V operation.

A single larger fluorescent has better efficacy than 2 or more smaller ones. So perhaps a single fl light plus an LED inspection light.

The inspection light should be ok on speaker flex. Pick a medium weight one for a workable degree of robustness.

A 4' fluorescent would use around 4A, 1mm^2 T&E or 1mm^2 mains flex would give 44mV per metre voltage drop, so don't put it too far from the battery. 5m is fine, much more starts wasting battery power

NT