Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default If torsion spring breaks on metal garage door

Doug wrote:
Hypothetically, on a metal garage door, if the torsion spring breaks,
can you disengage the garage door from the garage door opener (track)
and open and close it?

Suppose there are 2 torsion springs and only one spring breaks, same
question?

Hi,
When it happened to me, I temporarily joined broken spring together with
small U bolt and rewound it to just open the door once to bring
cars outside. Then I closed the door down, called the service guy.

After watching him do it, now I can work on door problems myself.