Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What hours were the supermarkets open?

On 11/26/2012 8:41 AM, George wrote:
On 11/25/2012 9:27 AM, George wrote:
On 11/25/2012 7:42 AM, HeyBub wrote:
micky wrote:
OT As Black Friday creeps forward to Wednesday, I'm trying to
renew
my recolletction of what days and hours supermarkets were open in the
early 50's.

I lived in Western Pa. near Youngstown, Ohio, in a city of 50,000
people, and my earliest recollection is that it was open from 9AM to
5PM, M-F, not on Sunday, and I can't remember about Saturday.

What about Saturday?

Back in the day, when my state had a "Blue Law," stores could be
open on
either Saturday or Sunday - pick one.

The demise of the silly Blue Laws was encouraged by one super-store
chain's
novel solution: A new company was organized. Named "SUNDAYCO" and
was a
wholly-owned subsidary of this city-wide chain.

Each Saturday night, it bought the entire physical plant and existing
merchandise from the chain for "One dollar and other good and valuable
considerations," ran the enterprises for 24 hours, then sold their
holdings
back to the parent company Sunday night.

Our betters who ran the state government were none to pleased with
this
affront. Even a couple of lawsuits were filed.

As I recall, the stores were full to overflowing every Sunday.

Lawmakers still don't get it after all these years. Any capitalist
enterprise is going to find a way around any stupid law the lawmakers
can come up with. Like what's happening with Abomination Care right
now.
O_o

TDD

It is hilarious though how the "conservative family value" stuff such as
spending time with your family doesn't align with the conservative
"absolutely anything is OK as long as someone is making money" mantra.
Can't have it both ways.

Larry Flint is big on family values? Wow, you sure have a distorted view
of just who a capitalist is. O_o

TDD

You made my point. All we here is "family values" from the "anything for
a buck" folks.

Your point is more than a little bent. You seem to believe that only
people with conservative, family values are capitalists? I found it to
be amazing how BeeHO sucked up to the very rich capitalists while
bashing them at the same time. Liberalism is a mental disease which
folks of that ilk demonstrate over and over again. O_o

TDD