Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default 12V LED Recommendation Please

On 26/11/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
Just started to rent a garage that has no services in.

I wish to put some lighting in, so the best thing to me would be LEDs as
this will be able to run on low power consumption from a 12V car battery.

I am wondering about light fittings and also the type of cable I should use.

I am a novice when it comes to LEDs so would like to get views from others
more well informed than me.

How many lamps should I use, lamp fittings, cable etc etc etc.

I will be using the garage to do repairs to my own vehicles and other small
repair jobs but need good light.

Jim G

Following advice here, I would strongly recommend using normal mains
fittings with 12 volt CFL bulbs, also available from caravan suppliers.
I have these in a stables, run off a standard leisure battery. I use
batten fittings inside and various exterior weatherproof lights outside.
I use a normal switched spreader with a 5 amp thermal trip from CPC
between the battery and the spreader, then 13 A plugs and 0.75 mm
"lighting" flex. You might chose to rely on the plug fuses.

The 12 volt CFL gives very similar light levels to the equivalent mains one.

The other type of mobile light which I have found very effective is one
of these:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...k+light+clarke

because it provides a directional but wide, diffuse beam. It used mains
bulbs but when the inverter dies (which it will) you can wire the socket
direct to the battery and use another 12V CFL.