Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small engine repair question

I think magneto problems are typically that -- won't run when hot.

You're right, that's puzzling. I'm not getting any good answers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"axolotl" wrote in message

Today's fooling around yields slightly different symptoms. Starts, runs
with surging, about a 10 second rep rate.

Tank cap is not clogged, loosened the cap to make sure. Fuel filter
shows fuel on both sides of the filter media.

The engine wants the choke on, indicating too lean a mixture.

The governor slams back and forth as the engine is surging, indicating
that it is moving freely.

It is certainly possible that I screwed up the carb cleaning and rebuild.

What would be a good diagnostic test for the magneto? I replaced one in
a different Briggs not long ago, but that engine simply would not go
when hot.

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore