Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now I've seen it all ...

Java Jive wrote:
Again, IMO this IS a clear breach of the DPA - how do they know who
the registered keeper is? (S)he has committed no criminal offence, so
the 'official' DVLA and police systems can not be used 'officially',
so that leaves the databases used to quote for insurance purposes,
which is a use not intended by consumers when they volunteer the data.

If you stay longer than the permitted time, you are in breach of the
implied contract with the land owner, and the DVLA are permitted to sell
your details to the owner of the parking area for billing purposes.

For some time I have had a dodgy back, which recently has become so
bad that I frequently have to lift myself into my car by grabbing the
roof-rail, to do which I need to guarantee to be able to open the door
fully. Consequently, when I can't find an end space, I often park in
the Disabled or Parents With Children bays of supermarket car parks,
though, as walking is not a problem to me, I always choose the
furthest from the store.

So you admit that you park in a disabled space without displaying the
required badge or a parent and child bay without the required number of
children, in breach of the conditions posted in the car park. (In small
print on a grubby notice hidden in the corner behind a shrubbery.)

Sainsbury's car parks are run by a third party organisation, and they
tried to 'do' me for this to the tune of £75 or thereabouts. However,
when I wrote to them explaining that IMO they were in breach of the
DPA, and that I had no intention of paying unless they could explain
how they had acquired in a legal manner knowledge of the registered
keeper, although they never openly admitted a breach, the threatening
letters stopped, and the matter was quietly dropped - I never heard
any more about it.

As an organisation with a legitimate reason to have the information,
(They want to chase you for a bill) the car park operator just has to
ask the DVLA for the details. They will be charged a fee for it, which
is passed on to you as part of the parking charge.

You heard no more about it because it wouldn't be economically viable
for them to chase you any further.

The breach of the DPA, if any, is by the DVLA who are the registered
holders of that data, but as they passed on the information to a third
party for a legally approved use, you'd not get far chasing them.

However, Sainsbury's lost my custom, so a net loss for them.

As you say, their loss.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.