Posted to uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default And now I've seen it all ...

Again, IMO this IS a clear breach of the DPA - how do they know who
the registered keeper is? (S)he has committed no criminal offence, so
the 'official' DVLA and police systems can not be used 'officially',
so that leaves the databases used to quote for insurance purposes,
which is a use not intended by consumers when they volunteer the data.

For some time I have had a dodgy back, which recently has become so
bad that I frequently have to lift myself into my car by grabbing the
roof-rail, to do which I need to guarantee to be able to open the door
fully. Consequently, when I can't find an end space, I often park in
the Disabled or Parents With Children bays of supermarket car parks,
though, as walking is not a problem to me, I always choose the
furthest from the store.

Sainsbury's car parks are run by a third party organisation, and they
tried to 'do' me for this to the tune of £75 or thereabouts. However,
when I wrote to them explaining that IMO they were in breach of the
DPA, and that I had no intention of paying unless they could explain
how they had acquired in a legal manner knowledge of the registered
keeper, although they never openly admitted a breach, the threatening
letters stopped, and the matter was quietly dropped - I never heard
any more about it.

However, Sainsbury's lost my custom, so a net loss for them.

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:20:40 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Many car parks now have ANPR cameras on entrance and exit. Stay more than
the X free hours allowed and they send the registered keeper a parking
notice.