Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What hours were the supermarkets open?

Notat Home wrote:

Here the grocery stores were open 9 to 5 during the week, and Saturday
morning. Bakeries and butchers had the same hours. Dairy products, and
ice, if you still had an icebox, were delivered to your home during the
week. To this day I won't take my wife to the market on Saturdays,
because all the really old coots still shop then, slowly. Banks had
even worse hours for the consumer. The unions really fought to keep
those hours; I never understood why, as they would have gained more
members if the stores were open longer.

In the middle sixties we moved to Illinois and it was wonderful finding
you could shop in the evening.

For a non USAsian POV, I grew up in England in the 70's. Sounds pretty
similar.

Shops 9-ish to 5pm or 5:30pm in the week. Saturdays maybe 9:30 or 10am to
4-4:40pm.

Sunday everything was closed except newsagents (papershops) and off-licenses
(liquor stores). They closed at noon.

Wednesday afternoon - everything closed for 1/2 day.

Banks were dire - 10am to 3:30pm IIRC.
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."