Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Klaatu Klaatu is offline

Default Tape head demagnetization

"Charlie+" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:35:30 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote as underneath my scribble :

A trick I found for this squeaky problem to do a one time transfer was
to play them as cold as possible, unfortunately just freezing the tapes
doesnt last long enough - always thaught a head heatsink to a
deepfrozen al or cu block might do the trick but I never tried it!! I
just caught mine early enough! Mine were BASF

Sadly, my favorite tapes were made during the era of poor mylar
coating and have all turned 'squeaky' and unplayable! I wish I could
have transferred them before they died, but hindsight.

Try this method. Put a "squeaky" tape on a metal tray, and put it in a 150
degree oven (NO HOTTER!!) for about
1 hour. It will reactivate the binders and lubricants and when you play it,
TRANSFER it to another medium on first play. Works for old reel to reel
tapes. Google is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_baking