Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carla Fong[_2_] Carla Fong[_2_] is offline

Default Help selecting a 3-in-1 sheet metal machine

Hi all -

I apologize for posting this on-topic query - I am a bit reluctant to
interrupt the random streams of political babbling that seem to
monopolize the rec.craft.metalworking group...

Anyhow, we recently acquired a rather nice Chicago 24" box and pan brake
and the acquisition has engendered a desire to do more with sheet metal.

We're (as always) limited on floor space and would like to add the
capacity to shear and maybe roll form sheet metal parts. The original
plan was to use the plasma cutter for 'shearing' but now we're thinking
about getting one of the '3-in-1' shear/brake/roller combinations - and
maybe re-selling the Chicago brake (that's a big maybe)

Comparing the 30" machines we find on the net, the Enco 30" claims 20
gauge capacity, the Grizzly 22 gauge, the Jet 20 gauge and the shudder
Harbor Freight says 20 gauge.

Is it possible that all of these come from the same production line in
India or China and going with the cheapest will give us exactly the same
machine with a different paint job, or is one superior to the others? Is
there another alternative in the same price range that we should be
looking at?

Also, to do boxes with neat corners we're thinking about getting a hand
notcher like the Enco or Jet... or maybe spending a little more for a
'nibbler' for our ironworker and giving us the capacity to notch much
heavier material for structural stuff in addition to the sheet metal
pieces. Any thoughts?

Also, this has now become time sensitive as Enco has a 20% off 'cyber
Monday' sale on the 26th (tomorrow) and if theirs is any better than the
HF one it would be worth pursuing...

Thanks in advance

Carla

Too bad that all the people who know how to run this country are busy
driving taxis and cutting hair. - George Burns