Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now I've seen it all ...

On 25/11/2012 15:54, Bill wrote:
In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
Bill wrote:

I recently fitted an ANPR camera for a customer, attached to their
CCTV system. They are amazing, even in bright sunlight there is
next to no image. As you say they have IR illumination and this is
reflected back from the number plate. The effect is outstanding,
the filter in front of the camera basically only allows the IR
frequency of light through and the number plate shows perfectly, day
or night. The mobile ones do appear to have IR illuminators too.

What about muddy ones or in fog? And was the customer hooked into the
database?

good question, I'm looking at it again next week, I'll review the
recordings and see how it coped. probably badly :-) Fog wouldn't
be a problem as I'm only looking at plates about 5m away and if it was
that thick then no one would be out and about anyway, I don't think
there has been any fog locally to check against though.

Database? This set up is only for video recording of the plates, to be
reviewed when they have an incident rather than a computer record being
kept. Although it is the same camera for both systems.

Interestingly, the Police ANPR cameras log every single number plate &
only flag up the ones without tax etc.

All the others are kept on a database. When looking for a local scrote
to arrest for not turning up at court, they interrogate the database for
his car reg & look for patterns of travel.

Once a pattern is established - they just wait in the right place.