Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Folding chair cross bar repair without welding?

On 11/25/2012 4:31 AM, mike wrote:
On 11/24/2012 9:56 PM, mike wrote:
On 11/24/2012 12:12 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:38:21 -0800, wrote:

One side of the cross bar on the bottom of a metal folding chair
broke due
to a bad weld. I don't have welding equipment. What is the next best
way to
fix this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55756213/IMG_0435.jpg

The only solution I can think of is to use an L-bracket and two hose
clamps.
But there's got to be a better way.

I'd consider epoxy for metal. Maybe a strap clamp to keep things
together while it cures.

I used epoxy for metal on cast iron pedestal. Still doing fine.

Fix it properly or get a new chair.
Bad things happen to people when a chair does not meet their
expectations.
A red-neck repair can lead to a trip to the emergency room
AND a trip to a liability lawyer.
It just ain't worth the risk.

Well Mr. Happy, did the OP state he wanted to repair his own chair or
make a repair for a paying customer. I doubt the manufacturer would be
responsible for anything more than an original UNMODIFIED product. My
doG what planet do the cretins come from? O_o

TDD

For all the creativity that appears here, some seem mighty narrow minded.
Who said anything about the manufacturer?
Say you fix your chair with chewing gum. Your daughter brings home
a friend from school to work on a project for cooking class.
The friend stands on your chair to reach the can on the top shelf and
cracks
her head on the way down when the chair collapses. Her father takes
you to court for negligence. Even if you win, the lawyers might own
your house.

It's one of those many things in life that is very unlikely to
happen, but if it does, you're in deep youknowwhat!

Do not do shoddy repairs on items that might cause injury.
Epoxy on a steel structural member subject to flexing classifies as
shoddy repair.
It's just not worth the risk.
If you did the same repair on a decorative item in the corner, you'd
likely be fine.
Common sense, my friend.

OH! Forgive me, I didn't realize we were in the presence of greatness! O_o

TDD