Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Fastenal Ribbed Nutsert

On Nov 24, 6:38*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:53:18 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd try a grade 8 bolt, then a couple washers

and a grade 8 nut. Hold the bolt head, and

then tighten the grade 8 nut. Might not work,

test on some other item first.

Christopher A. Young

My idea was to drill out the hole, heat the insert red hot with a propane torch, quickly place the hole over a socket and hammer the thing into place.

Paul

My idea was to drill out the hole, heat the insert red hot with a propane torch, quickly place the hole over a socket and hammer the thing into place.

Paul

If you are serious about such a substantial departure from "normal"
installation, I would suggest doing so on a disposable test piece.
These "inserts" are designed to be symmetrically pulled / compressed
into place....not heated and hammered.

On a scale of 1 to 10, your proposed method is about a 2.

Get the proper tool.