Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Semi-OT car headliner refurbishment

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:52:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'd try liquid nails panel adhesive. That stuff is wicked.

It's like trying to glue a piece of paper to the sand, more "sand"
just keeps letting go and it falls down. You have to scrape all the
old dried out foam off it for any adhesive to stick more then a few
minutes/days.

A couple vehicles ago, I had a sky light, that I didn't like. After trying
several other ways to cover it, I masked, and then used black spray paint.
The next owner was the wrecking yard, and they didn't complain.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .

Yeah, the modern cars have that foam backed fabric glued to a backer
board. I redid one of those in an S-10 pickup with the proper
material. Fairly easy. These old car headliners that are just
stretched fabric are a real bitch to do properly. I tried doing one
and it looked like hell so I took it to an upholstery shop to redo and
they made it look right. But that's pricey and I was looking to avoid
it this time, esp since the old stuff was still all in one piece, just
stained.