Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fastenal Ribbed Nutsert

On 11/24/2012 2:38 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Anybody ever use one of these?

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0125617

I was thinking of using these to fix the screen on my woodstove. The
screen itself is about 16" by 21" by 0.75" sheet metal tray with
hundreds of little holes in the surface to allow a view of the fire
while retaining sparks. It has a segment of metal welded into each
side of the perforated face, with a 1/4-20 threaded hole in each; a
threaded rod assembly goes through and is turned to engage a catch
that holds the screen on.

The catches have been jamming lately and examination reveals that the
threads in the welded inserts are worn, while the shafts are OK. From
this, I assume that the inserts were a softer steel than the shafts.
This is an old stove and they don't make replacement parts anymore,
so I was thinking of drilling out the holes and tapping in the
nutserts. I'd thread a bolt into the nutsert before tapping to
prevent distorting the threads.

Paul

Here's the set I own, manufactured by Marson and carried by many
suppliers. I have purchased two of them over the years from NAPA.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0126104

A similar looking tool is sold by Harbor Freight at a much lower
price and will become one of your most useful tools if you decide
to buy one of them. ^_^

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piec...-kit-1210.html

http://tinyurl.com/cz9nket

TDD