LRod

Default Running a 220 receptacle to garage

On Tue, 04 May 2004 12:21:47 +0000,
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

[disclaimer]
I don't advocate anyone who doesn't know what they're doing to tackle
electrical work, nor do I advocate bypassing the permit/inspection
process in most circumstances for major jobs.
[/disclaimer]

The "down-side risk" of doing that is quite substantial. As in: it is
grounds for your insurer to refuse to pay off on a claim against
your homeowner's policy.

I've always questioned this scenario. If the work was done right (and
it is possible to be done right even without a permit or inspection)
how would the insurer even know whether the work was new (unpermited)
or original (permited and inspected)?

For example, although I am not a licensed electrician, I've been doing
electrical work on my home(s) for more than 30 years; some of it quite
substantial-as in pulling a larger service and wiring a good sized
shop in the basement. I have a good working knowledge of the NEC and
local codes and I've had the tutelage of a licensed master electrician
available to me for most of that period.

When I pulled a new service (upgrade from 60A to 200A and from fuses
to CBs) I got a permit from the village and had an inspection. The
utility changed over the drop to the weather head and meter socket I
had installed.

Fast forward 30 years to a new (old) home which already had 200A but
with an old, documented faulty FPE load center. When I went to the
(different) village to get a permit I was told the department didn't
permit unlicensed homeowners to do electrical work. That was nonsense
(as would a likely $1000 invoice for an electrician to do what I could
do). I did it myself. Safely, within code, but undocumented. No one
will ever know; certainly not my insurer.

In the remodeling of this house, I have also run at least six new
circuits (mostly involving significant master bath and kitchen
rewiring) and will be running a subpanel for the gara^H^H^Hshop with
all of its own wiring.

That, however, is not for everyone. But with my experience and
knowledge, it is right and safe for me. That is not to say that some
eventuality might occur with an equal probability of that of a
permited and inspected job, but it won't attract any more attention
from the insurer than a permited and inspected job, either.

However, I emphasize: if you don't know what you're doing, don't even
try. Unlike some other DIY arenas, it's not "good enough" if it's not
done right.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net