Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Semi-OT car headliner refurbishment

On Nov 24, 3:24*pm, wrote:
My old Chevy had a headliner that was always sagging and laying on my
head. I tried pins, staples, apuolstry tacks, and even poked a few holes
and shut glue under it. *All these things would work for a few months,
and soon the thing was hanging again. *One day I just ripped it out of
the car right to the bare metal. *The metal is painted, so that is a far
better ceiling. *Someone told me it would be cold in winter. *Sure the
metal is cold, but the car still heats up fine. *At last now, it's not
dangling in my face and irritating me.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 00:58:32 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

Shop wanted $400 to replace the 50 year old fabric headliner in one of
my cars. *It was very discolored and stained but only had one small 1"
tear. I masked the edges and did two coats of oil base Kilz with some
tint to color match. *Worked great - strengthened and stiffened the
fabric and looks practically new. *You can still see the fabric
pattern. *Hopefully it really will prevent stains from coming back
thru. *It even sealed over the little torn spot.

my 1999 plymouth voyagers head liner failed, its a very thin piece of
fabric originall glued to foam thats glued to cardboard.

so i pulled off the fabric exposing the foam. looks fine, except
moving the visiors makes for a bit of foam shedding but its not worth
spending hundreds for a new head liner.

the fabric peeled off easily.

the failure is really the foam falling apart..... from age