Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT What hours were the supermarkets open?

OT As Black Friday creeps forward to Wednesday, I'm trying to renew
my recolletction of what days and hours supermarkets were open in the
early 50's.

I lived in Western Pa. near Youngstown, Ohio, in a city of 50,000
people, and my earliest recollection is that it was open from 9AM to
5PM, M-F, not on Sunday, and I can't remember about Saturday.

What about Saturday?

Later, maybe by 1956, the store started staying open to 6.
There was only one supermarket on the north side. .

Even though my father worked downtown, and we lived in a nice totally
residential area, it was only 1.5 miles. So he usually either walked
to work or took the bus, and he often got a ride home with a friend
while he was waiting for the bus to go home. There were only two
streets that went north from downtown, and one was really northwest
and went from industrial almost straight to farmland.

So my mother usallly had the car and she could go shopping between 9
and 3 (I got home from school at 3:35.) but women who worked or whose
husband took the car must have had a problem.

Anyone remember? Where were you in the 50's?