Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I dont want insulation in home

On 11/23/2012 10:02 PM, wrote:
I want to build a cabin on my property. Actually a small house.
The problems is that I dont want insulation. I love the rough look of
studs and the exterior plywood sheathing. Not only that, but I'm
allergic to fiberglass and dont want plastics such as foam which are
very environmentally bad, as well as flammable. I have no intention of
using sheetrock or other interior wall coverings. I want the inside to
look just like a hunting lodge, but for full time use year around.

This leaves me wondering how to build it. I now have a shed built from
2x4s and covered with treated plywood on the exterior. When I built it,
I put silicone caulk on every plywood joint, then applied 1x4's over the
joints. I later painted the whole shed and it looks great on the
outside. I've grown to really like that rough look on the inside.
Everyone has plaster or sheetrock in their house, and it's monotonous.

Actually with all the joints caulked, that shed is relatively easy to
heat, but I'm sure with some sort of insulation it would be better in
the extreme cold weather we get in winter.

What can I do to insulate ot from the outside? Presently I've thought
of covering the exterior walls with 1/4" plywood, then applying some
sort of insulation (not sure what), then covering that with 1/2" plywood
and painting it. I intend to use steel on the roof, so there again, the
insulation needs to be under the steel on top of the plywood roof.

Note: I dont want ugly plastic siding, or for that matter, anything
plastic, including the windows. Windows will be either wood or
aluminum. I also dont want any particle board in the building. Plywood
costs more, but it's far more long lived.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned compressed straw. I seem to recall
homes and such being built with the stuff. I find it very interesting. ^_^

http://www.structure1.com/html/strawbale.htm

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...awboard-panels

http://tinyurl.com/c2f9cj

TDD