Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] is offline

Default OT-Having a package shipped from US-UK

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:46:44 +0000, Davey
wrote:

It is interesting that your local Post Office will still give you
Air Mail stickers for your envelope, when there is no alternative.

Whose local post office? UK or US? The reason the UK POs do it is that
surface mail is available from the UK.

MBQ

Ah! I thought that it was eliminated in both directions. Thanks for the
correction. It wasn't offered to me the last time I posted something to
the US, so I had no reason to question it.

Similarly, the Irish PO issue airmail stickers for letter post to the
UK, even though there's no choice in the way a letter is carried.
Surface mail for larger stuff is available and you pay extra for air
carriage on that, anyway.