Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Grizzly sharpener?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:56:09 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

I cut a template block with the 4 most used angles. Just loosen the
table tilt, hold the block on the table and tilt it to where the belt
is aligned with the end of the block. I usually turn with a
fingernail grind on my bowl gouges. Just lay it on the table,
starting with the left side and swing it around to the right side. I
used to hone out the burr (it is tiny) but learned that the first cut
knocks it off. I will hone the inside a swipe or two when starting a
finishing cut.

I had a turner visit my shop touting his tormek. Watching him turn on
a bowl, he held the gouge horizontal and perpendicular to the wood.
He was just using it as a scraper, not shaving off the wood.

Happy turning!

LOL! No doubt he "has been turning for 50+ years"! Had a similar
experience recently...

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC