Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+ Tim+ is offline

Default Incoming power cable fault

Richard Ford wrote:
My son has a fault on the underground cable coming into his house and
has no power at all.

The engineer sent out to trace the fault says that there is power at
the sub-station and his neighbours have power.

How about his next but two neighbour? The three phase mains is usually
divided up as it goes along resulting in every third house being on the same
phase (I believe). If they've got no power then the problem is "upstream"
of your son's house.

It looks as though they will have to dig up the road and driveway to
repair the fault.

Is there a way of measuring from the house fuse to determine how far
along the cable the fault is, so that they do not have to dig up all
100m of driveway. Not by my son obviously.

Sorry, no idea. Good luck!

Tim