Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:19:21 PM UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,

whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, November 9, 2012 6:41:28 PM UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo ,

whisky-dave escribió:

If I wass using cvommon sense I;'d use teh lowest fuses I have which

is a 1 amp,

but I use management sense which means 3 amp is chosen.

If by 'management sense' you mean common sense, then we're arguing about

precisely nothing :-)

Now we're talking about what you'r told to do by the regulations or

managment that's in charge of your job, it is that simple.

Years ago we were told to check all plugs and replace any fuses that were

wrong with the correct fuse whether it was 3, 5 10 13 amp. Now wee not

suppoosed to replace fuses where you need to open the plug up and if you

do so you need teh aplince PAT'd before it cane be re-used .

So NO common sense is NOT the correct method.

opening the plug and checking fusing and terminals is part of a PAT test.

yes that's the point when PAT'ing equipment you test the equipemnt and any leads that power it. With the IEC leads it can be cheaper and more efficinet to buy a new lead rather than pay £1.49p to have one tested.
Unfortunalty some of our older equipment has dedicated leads so that's not an option.

--

From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18