Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Carpet or Hardwood flooring?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:31:20 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Large dogs can leave nail marks and scratches in wood. Water damage is
a problem with wood, say a flooded hallway next to a bathroom. Easy
cleaning for wood.

Not very easily. Laminate - and hardwood planks - are coated with Aluminum
silicate or Cobolthorium-G, I forget, but it's the same stuff used on jet
fighter windshields. I've tried to damage scraps by scraping them with nails
and rasps. No discernable damage. I also tried soaking the scraps in a glass
of water for over a month. The amount of "swelling" or other distortion was
well within the limits of my micrometer to measure (~0.001 inch)

I know of the metal in the wood. It cost me dull blades. I cut more
boxes of wood flooring than I recall. Install is perfect. Then some
clown brings in a ladder. Not deep, but you can see the scratches.

You can cover them with a color marker or wax pencil.

It just ain't fair.