Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Induction Cooking Table : IGBT keeping to short !

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

IGBTs are my least favourite power switching devices. I've always found
them hugely over-priced compared to FETs, and extremely fussy about their
operating conditions.

The big problem with IGBTs is they are a parallel structure of many
bipolar transistors, with POSITIVE temperature coefficient. So, they
do not balance current across the die well. When driven hard into
saturation, they balance better. So, the secret an IR app engineer
told me years ago is you have to drive them hard into saturation,
and never allow them to stay in the linear region for more than
a few ns, if possible. (You can only do so much of this during
turnoff, however.)

Jon

What I've never really understood, is what supposed advantages IGBTs have
over FETs. A while ago, I had the misfortune to work on a switcher that was
in a Yammy powered speaker. It used a pair of IGBTs that were about eight
quid apiece from memory. Much like the OP's induction heater, it would run
fine for a while, and then the stupid things would just destroy themselves
again - and I mean violently, legs actually blown off, and all that good
stuff. I mend a lot of switch mode power supplies, and for the most part,
their failure modes and what needs to be done to obtain a reliable fix, hold
no mysteries for me. But after about the fourth set of devices that I put in
the Yammy, along with just about every other component in the surrounding
area, I gave up on it. Many switchers of similar size and ratings, use an
almost identical topology, but with a pair of FETs. Typically a couple of
quid apiece, and in my estimation, *much* more robust. So with power FETs
rated to 800 volts and staggering amounts of amps being readily available
almost for pence, why would anyone actually design with IGBTs ?

Arfa