Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Retrofit-Grounding Fifties-Era House?

On Nov 22, 10:01*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per :

An interesting alternate method would be to have a
ground rod for the antenna and then use the cold water
pipe to bond it to the main grounding system of the
house. * That way with a strike....

Sounds to me like there is no downside to a dedicated grounding
rod for the antenna - right under it where the ground wire drops
down the side of the house.... and then work out the bonding
possibilities with the rest of the ground system later.

Have I got it right?
--
Pete Cresswell

The only downside is that later in many cases never
happens. And until it is bonded to the house grounding
system, with a lightning strike, you could have that
ground and anything connected to it, ie TV, at possibly
thousands of volts higher than the house ground, thereby
destroying the TV, etc.

However, there are undoubtly a whole lot of houses out
there where it's done with just the antenna grounded
and no bonding. And given how much of a PIA it might
be to run a proper bond, I might not do it myself either.
At the end of the day, with what you describe, you don't
have the perfect situation, but you do have a ground for
the antenna and IMO it's not a big safety issue. More of
an issue that the TV has a higher possibility of getting
zapped.