Posted to alt.home.repair
Cha ching Cha ching is offline

Default Carpet or Hardwood flooring?

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
It's time to replace our carpeting again and I was thinking about the
possibility of installing hardwood flooring instead for all or part of
it. This would be the living room, dining room, hallway and bedrooms
only. The kitchen, bathrooms and entrance are tiled.

My wife said something about hardwood may be harder on older people
than carpeting, we're in our mid 60's, but I don't know about that.

Does anyone have any experience or preferences that may help me decide
which way to go?

We just put carpeting in the living rooms, stairs, & hall. We put laminate
in the kitchen & dining. The foyer is tiled.

Just choosing carpeting is a hard choice, ended up getting it through
ProSource. Instead of buying throw rugs for in front of the sink/patio
door/ & in the foyer, we took the carpet to a carpet binder, had the carpet
pieces sized to our liking, and had anti skid material put on the carpet.
Turned out fantastic, not cheap, but wanted it to last.

If you purchase a good piece of rug, there's a huge difference from
carpeting purchased for short term use or a rental.

No regrets here.