Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Carpet or Hardwood flooring?

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 17:23:09 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

It's time to replace our carpeting again and I was thinking about the
possibility of installing hardwood flooring instead for all or part of
it. This would be the living room, dining room, hallway and bedrooms
only. The kitchen, bathrooms and entrance are tiled.

My wife said something about hardwood may be harder on older people
than carpeting, we're in our mid 60's, but I don't know about that.

Does anyone have any experience or preferences that may help me decide
which way to go?

Our choice is hardwood flooring. Consider an engineered wood also,
that is made like plywood and has a veneer top with a very durable
finish.

New carpet looks nice, but goes down hill soon after. It is very easy
for it to collects dirt, crumbs, bugs, insect feces, and anything else
that can get in between the fibers. If you have allergies, get rid of
the carpet.

Wood is smooth and can be wet or dry mopped as needed. Yes, I said
wet. You don't slosh a bucket of water, but damp mop.

Our downstairs is engineered wood, but we do have a carpet runner at
the entry door and a throw rug in front of my chair. The entry runner
does get the incoming dirt but is low cost and can be easily tossed
and replaced.

I guess we are getting to be considered "old people" at 66 & 67, but I
don't find it any harder on us physically.