Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Carpet or Hardwood flooring?

On 11/21/2012 6:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Before you "replace, again" have you tried the
cleaners that advertise here and there? Have you
rented a machine at the store? Last week, I did
shampooing for a couple friends, and they were
thrilled at how clean the carpet looked. I use
powdered ultra Tide as detergent. About a tbsp
per 5 gal bucket of super hot water.

That said, my feet prefer carpet. I've heard the
requirement is good quality padding, under the
carpet.

We just bought a home that has white carpet....previous owner had three
kids and a big dog, but must have been a fantastic housekeeper. I was
inclined to not shampoo carpet, as it didn't look bad. Decided to go
ahead, as it was much easier with no furniture and I'm getting old
enough I might not do it again myself. Whew! There was plenty of grime
in the recovered water, so glad I did it. Used a rented Bissell machine
and their detergent. Great job, although the machine is a tad heavy.
I've never used a hired carpet cleaning service, so don't know how they
compare.