Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Induction Cooking Table : IGBT keeping to short !

Arfa Daily wrote:

IGBTs are my least favourite power switching devices. I've always found
them hugely over-priced compared to FETs, and extremely fussy about their
operating conditions.

The big problem with IGBTs is they are a parallel structure of many
bipolar transistors, with POSITIVE temperature coefficient. So, they
do not balance current across the die well. When driven hard into
saturation, they balance better. So, the secret an IR app engineer
told me years ago is you have to drive them hard into saturation,
and never allow them to stay in the linear region for more than
a few ns, if possible. (You can only do so much of this during
turnoff, however.)

Jon