Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default THe Miracle Cleaner

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:32:18 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Nov 19, 9:30*pm, Bill wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
On Nov 19, 12:54 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Since there was a recent thread about kerosene, et al, lamps,
this popped up on another list and on topic.

Enjoy.

Lew
No, this is not spam, its boat related. For Halloween, I took an
oil lantern off my boat to illuminate one of the tables of goodies
by a driveway bonfire we have hosted the last couple of years.

I cranked the wick out to get the brightest flame possible, and at the
end of the night the inside of the lens was completely coated in soot.

Today I got around to cleaning it before taking it back to the boat.

I went through an array of typical glass cleaners and none took off
the most stubborn soot.

Then I remembered the miracle cleaner for the residue left by
adhesive labels: PEANUT BUTTER.

* * Easier than Rosonal Lighter Fluid? *PB would seem to create a mess
of it's own. *I was so happy when someone introduced me to the lighter
fluid approach. *As a kid, my dad handed me a razor blade and said
"Here, scrape at this (on the inside of the windshield) for a while".
A razor blade, Windex, and paper towels--you thought you had it
tough...lol! *: )

Or its cheaper generic, naptha. Usually keep a quart
handy for wet sanding and cleanup.

That might depend on how much you value your liver. PB creates more of
a mess than just the oil.

Jim