Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Removing paper backing from old Plexiglas

On 11/16/2012 12:18 AM, nestork wrote:
I agree with Frank. Plexiglas is just Rohm & Haas' trade name for a
cast sheet made of a plastic called "polymethyl methacrylate" or PMMA
for short. If DuPont were to make that sheet, it'd be called "Lucite",
and if ICI of Britain were to make it, it'd be a sheet of "Perspex".
They're all just trade names for a cast sheet of the same plastic.

PMMA is used to make good quality interior and exterior latex paints,
floor finishes, grout and masonary sealers, Corian and other fake marble
counter tops and women's nail polish. So, anything that dissolves PMMA
will also dissolve paints, floor finishes, Corian counter tops, etc.,
including lacquer thinner, toluene (the principle constituent of lacquer
thinner) acetone, alcohols (including isopropyl and methanol), xylene,
MEK and paint stripper (aka: methylene chloride).

If it were me, I would wet the paper down with mineral spirits instead,
and then wrap with Saran Wrap or wax paper to prevent the mineral
spirits from evaporating. That will allow more time for the mineral
spirits to penetrate to the paper/PMMA interface and dissolve the old
glue there. Mineral spirits won't harm PMMA at all.

I had some old pieces of red plex that I'd given up ever removing the
paper. Tossed them in a bucket. Long story, but ended up with a
plastic bottle of brake fluid that was leaking in the same bucket. The
paper slid right off the plexiglas. It would be worth an experiment to
see how long it would take to reach this state.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven